Officials investigate deadly chemical fire in China Grove
Updated: Updated 06/30/2012 04:48 PM
By: Elise Roberts
CHINA GROVE, N.C. — On Saturday, all that is left of S&S Graham Archery are charred remains after a fire destroyed the longtime business.
"I've dealt with them for at least 25 years," said customer Robert Collins. "I would stop through here on a weekly basis to see them even when I wasn't going to get anything."
Investigators believe the fire started when vapors from the chemicals got too close to a gas water heater. They say five employees were in the building when the fire started but only four made it out.
"I see about three or four people cry on the scene," said neighbor Viet Tran.
Tran has lived next to the business for 20 years. He came to the scene of what he described as a massive fire.
"A lot of fire departments from Bostian and China Grove and Salisbury come here to try to kill the fire," said Tran.
They put out the fire. However, firefighters were unable to save one employee who ran into the bathroom. The woman became trapped and did not survive.
Back to list