Bacon wrapped meatloaf
Updated: 06/08/2012 07:56 AM
By: Chef Dan Eaton
• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/3 cup finely diced onion
• 1 Tbs chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
• 2 cups 1/4-inch cubed white bread
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (or ketchup)
• 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
• 1 cup heavy cream
• salt and pepper
• 8 slices regular cut bacon (see hints below)
1. Add the 1 1/2 pounds ground beef to a large mixing bowl and add 1 minced clove garlic, 1/3 cup finely diced onion, 1 Tbs fresh chopped thyme, 2 cups 1/4-inch cubed white bread, 1 large egg, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, 1 Tbs Dijon mustard, 1 cup heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste and mix to combine.
2. That's going to seem a little bit loose but that's okay because it'll help keep the meatloaf nice and moist when it's done.
3. Next, place alternating strips of bacon next to each other crosswise into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, overhanging opposite sides as you go, then add the meatloaf mix, fold the overhanging bacon over the top, and place the loaf pan into a preheated 350 degree oven on top of a baking tray.
4. It will take about 1 - 1 1/4 hours to bake, use a thermometer to make sure the inside of the meatloaf is 160 degrees when it's done.
• Leave the bacon out of the recipe if you like.
Back to list
• While the meatloaf is baking, make mashed potatoes to serve with it.
• When the meatloaf is done, you'll need to carefully pour off the liquid that accumulates in the pan as the meatloaf bakes.
• Finish with a little barbecue sauce over the top of everything.