Creator of controlled choice assignment plan speaks out at Wake school board meeting
Updated: 06/05/2012 09:39 PM
By: Heather Moore
RALEIGH -- An unexpected guest at the Wake County School Board meeting Tuesday provided a new perspective on how well the new school choice student assignment plan is working.
Michael Alves created the controlled choice assignment plan. He sat in on the school board's work session Tuesday to hear a brief update on how his plan is working in Wake County. Despite some challenges, he says it's been a success.
"Some parents are happy and some parents get upset they don't get exactly what they want," said Alves. "But I think overall for the first year, to stabilize the system, I think so far certainly the choice plan is working."
Not all board members agree the controlled choice assignment plan has been a success. New board members have been critical, saying it feels like a mandatory reassignment for families who don't get their first or second choices.
Alves is still a paid consultant for Wake County schools. He also designed and maintains the software used in the school selection process. The Wake County School System is asking parents to complete a survey to get feedback on the new school choice student assignment plan.
Back to list