Cream of mushroom soup
Updated: 06/03/2012 03:02 PM
By: Chef Michael Calenda
• ¾ lb. - Button Mushrooms
• ¼ lb. - Shiitake Mushrooms (Stems Removed)
• ¼ cup - Whole Butter
• 3 cloves - Minced Fresh Garlic
• 2 tbls. - All Purpose Flour
• 4 cups - Vegetable Broth
• 1 cup - Whipping Cream
• 3 tbls. - Chopped Fresh Chives
• 3 tbls. - Chopped Curly Parsley
• In a food processor, mince all the mushrooms and set aside.
• In a heavy, thick bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium low heat.
• Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
• Increase heat to medium, add mushrooms and cook until almost all of the moisture is evaporated.
• Add the flour to the mushroom mixture and cook for and additional 2-3 minutes being careful not to scorch the mushrooms.
• Add the vegetable stock and stir making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan well.
• Simmer the soup for approximately 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally until your desired consistency is achieved (some folks like their soup thicker and some like it thinner).
• Once desired consistency is achieved, add the whipping cream and herbs.
• Season soup with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Back to list
You can make a variation of this soup by folding in your favorite soft cheese at the end like Cheddar, Boursin or Goat. Cheese will cause the soup to thicken slightly more. If the soup becomes too thick, add vegetable broth until the desired consistency is achieved.